Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Humid Hangover

For some reason or another I was nervous as all hell on my way to the SF airport. Like my hands went numb nervous. But somehow manged to get there on time and get to the right spot and on the right plane.I left at 1:30am Tues the 7th and got to Taipei airport at 5:30am on the 8th. I basically just skipped Tuesday because the 12 hour plane ride was just a daze of trying to sleep and keep myself occupied. But the movies they played were in Chinese and I couldn't figure out how to change it so I watched Rango and tried to laugh at the jokes I didn't know they were making, and tryed to sleep but never got to the point of dreaming just stayed in the in between spot where you think about crazy stuff and have to double think because you realize what you were thinking was just complete nonsense...or genius. Either way I should really take notes. I had some winner ideas. And I probably got the only seat on the plane with no one next to me. WOO!
 I had until10pm to kill in Taipei. The airport was like a huge mall filled with duty free alcohol, cigs, perfume  make up, jewelery, and all the American and European designer bags and sun glasses you could ever dream of. So I got some fried rice took a nap as far away from the hustle and bustle I could get but still at some perfume shop they had "what a day for a day dream" on a loop just the beginning over and over again so I didn't nap long and wondered more until I found a flyer for a free half day tour into Taipei city at 1:30...it was 10am. Needless to say I was bored. Bored out of my mind. So I learned how to use this thing.

 Squat
Pillar carved from one solid stone at Longshan
 The tour guide was named "Scott" and we picked up four more people around my age from the next terminal and took off to Taipei. I was still in a tee and dark pants and skate socks from when I left SF so the minute I stepped out side of the air conditioned airport which was warm I got punched by a wall of humidity and immediately sweat from every pore available.
"2.5 million people in Taipei. 1 million scooters" -Scott
We went to all the top tourist spots and didn't spend more then 10 mins at them. The coolest spot was the Longshan Temple, the oldest temple in Taiwan built in the 1700's. Everywhere else was pretty but not very exciting. Like Chiang Kai-Shek memorial hall. Awesome building but more or less just another museum once you go inside. Somewhere along the ride our bus broke down and the driver pulled over (which was still in the middle of the road because there wasn't much of a shoulder and we waited there for about 20min for another bus. Which was a nice way to add a lil more time to the tour that I wouldn't have to spend at the airport.
"Its a freeway but NOT free"-Scott
Scott and the second bus



 I thought weed whacking my back yard was a job. This yard was the size of an Olympic swimming pool plus some.

 British couple on the left Bali friends in the middle. Scott on the right. (check out brit mans popped collar)

The 101 Building. Tallest in the world until 6 months ago

 Shrine at Longshan Temple for god of romantic relationships. There was a crowd of teens in front of it making prayers and offerings.
 Got back to the airport at 5pm. Ate some food. Killed some time trying on make up and testing perfume and getting funny looks from all the dolled up Chinese girls in there cute lil uniforms. Watched a movie and finally Fritz got there maybe 20 mins before our flight to Bangkok. Ended up next to an old white guy from Hawaii with an arm in a sling and 30 loud Chinese high schoolers on there way to Amsterdam (the flight went to bangkok first). Me and the old guy both had not gotten any real sleep in the last couple days and we both rolling our eyes at the girls that wouldn't shut up about god knows what. But made it to Bangkok by 2:30am. Had a great lightning storm right next to our taxi leaving the airport. Some serious lightning! Took a cold shower with a cockroach running around on the other side of the shower curtain and then went to bed at 4am. Woke up this morning at 8am to a bird that sounded like an alarm clock and choppers flying around a building nearby. Ate some bomb Thai vegetarian breakfast with "agricultural protein" which is more or less a more chewy kinda tofu somthing. About to go get a Thai massage.

Over and out.
More pictures on Fliker later. (adoriation is my flicker name also)

No comments:

Post a Comment